Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Catch Starcatcher at Ellie Calkins

Photos of the Peter and the Starcatcher touring company:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/denvercenter/sets/72157633473473301/

Tonight my daughter Allie and I watched 11 men and 1 woman tell the story of what came before the story of Peter Pan, the very creative and energetic Peter and the Starcatcher, a play based on the 2006 novel of a similar name by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson, adapted for the stage by Rick Elice.

Lively show, creative staging, still it's a dark show, especially the first half, it had pulled me down by
intermission. But my daughter Allie really liked it. So we kept watching, saw the second half opening, powerful image of being in the sunshine, and I was very surprised by the tears in my eyes as the play ended with a punch.

Lots of bad mixed in with the good, but that's true of the original Peter Pan story, too.

This production that packs a punch is filled with the lost boys, most never grow up, instead they become pirates or marry each other. Molly, who eventually will become Wendy's mother, level headed, stays focused on the mission, the treasure chest and her life as a woman, both she clearly sees have been placed in her protection,

 Best part was the great father-daughter conversation that was provoked, very meaningful, very enjoyable evening. Seemed to me it would be way too heavy for young children, but I may be too old fashioned.

Recent discussion about Peter and the Starcatcher at the Tattered Cover (click here).

No comments: